ko

Job 33:6 I am just like you before God; I too have been taken from clay.jm

Friday, April 6, 2012

Couchsurfing


James 2:15-16 If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, and one of you says to them,” Go in peace, be warmed and be filled,” and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that ?”

I am a proud member of www.couchsurfing.org which is an online community that has millions of members spread across 230 countries around the world. This site provides travelers the opportunity to find people that offer (for free) their homes near or along their way to wherever trekkers are going.
I came upon this site back when I was watching the TV series Around the World For Free a few years ago and lost track of it as time went on and started school and began 2 jobs.
However, I renewed my membership about a month ago since I now have a stable living environment that could offer hospitality to people seeking a place to stay. On Saturday I was working my weekend job and received an email with a message from a fellow couch surfer that was passing through Georgetown with his friend on their bicycles.  They were traveling from Indianapolis with their final destination as California… ON THEIR BICYCLES!
Thankfully within the message they wrote their number so I gave them a quick call and talked with a worn out and exhausted guy who had rode 300 miles already with his sidekick.  He and his buddy were desperate for a shower and a place to sleep. I told him that I was working at the moment, but could talk to my boss about leaving a little early, (the UK vs. Louisville game was on and our restaurant doesn’t have a single TV) so that I could come pick them up and bring them to my place. He was extremely grateful for getting back to him because I haven’t been on in a few weeks and if someone hasn’t logged on to the site, the likelihood of them being able to host is small.
I got off the phone and was about to persuade my boss that #1: There is no point of anyone working, or the restaurant even being open for that matter, because at the time (6:00 PM) the place was empty. #2: I have these two guys who have ridden their bikes for more than 300 miles and they NEED ME, when suddenly I realized… I don’t live alone. I have roommates. And these roommates are my family…not just family…but my Father and older brother. Oh boy. I thought to myself, “This is a pickle.”
My heart sank because I already told these guys that I would help them out by staying at my place…without telling my dad or brother. Come to think of it, when I renewed my membership, I didn’t even mention it to them that I was volunteering our home for hosting people around the world. Whoops.
With my head down I called my brother. But to my surprise, he took it quite well J It was only for one night, I told him they would be using my room and bathroom, and to have a heart- these guys are practically penniless, have no where else to go and have been pedaling their tired legs out for almost 2 weeks now.
Thankfully the talk with my boss went just as well and I was able to leave early so I could get home and clean up before I picked up the 2 guys, Pat and Bill. I came home and before I could further explain myself, they sat me down and had a serious talk about the dangers of strange boys. I nodded my head, understood and respected where they were coming from and told them they were my age and seemed pretty cool and down to earth.
My brother and my dad were awesome about helping me clean up the house in preparation for our two guests soon to be arriving.  My dog has a bed perched in my room that we moved to my brother’s room and I was going to bunk with dad as long as he used his sleeping machine that quiets his snore and allows for a more restful sleep. He snores like an obese cow that is stuck on the ground attempting to get up. So unless he uses his magic machine, I was going to be a very unhappy camper.
Time rolled around for me to pick them up and my brother wanted to go so I obliged and eagerly went out the door while texting Bill that we were on our way. They weren’t but a 5 minute drive away so we got there in good time, and as we pulled up I saw 2 short guys standing with 2 bikes carrying what looked like back-packing bags on their backs. It was nighttime so I couldn’t see very well, considering it’s probably illegal that I drive at night without my glasses (but I was still wearing my glasses haha)
We jumped out and introduced ourselves and helped get their bikes in the back of my truck. I was so happy to get them out of the cold and into the cab. Last week was in the upper 70s and of course when these guys are passing through, the weather drops down almost 20 degrees.
We got back to the house and let Bill and Pat get settled in. It was so much fun showing them their room and where the bathroom was.  I felt like I was an employee of a hotel. I laid fresh towels and washcloths next to the sink and two water bottles on the bed, I was even going to write out how to use the remote but my brother stopped me by shaking his head and saying “You’re stupid!!” It’s an expression he uses quite often with me, but when he says it its sooooo funny!!! J Because whatever I’m doing at the moment to make him say that, is usually because I’m doing, or thinking of doing something ridiculous or redundant.
After a short while Bill and Pat sat down with the 3 of us and we had the greatest time getting to know them! They were roommates who were planning this trip for a while, but their eviction notice on their apartment compelled them to depart much sooner than expected. So the backpacks that I saw them wearing over their shoulders when I pulled up, are all that remains of their possessions. But they seemed okay about it- they weren’t sad or angry, but rather took on a simplistic mentality that all that they really need can fit within the bags that they carry.  Kudos.
When I went to India for 2 months-I should have listened to my brother’s familiar shout “You’re stupid! “Because I decided to pack and haul a massive 50 lb army bag, a guitar and a carry-on bag with me throughout the second most populated country in the world. Bill and Pat are doing it right ! Haha
It was incredible to see and hear of these two young men (26 and 21) abandoning everything and everyone they know to catch the trade winds of courage and embrace the liberty of the open road. No time schedule, no set destination (other than to get to the state of California), and no money. Their spirit was refreshing just to be around.
I felt bad for keeping them up – I could only imagine how much they were looking forward to getting a good night’s sleep considering this was the first and only house and bed they’ve been able to stay at and sleep in on their trip.  By 1:00 AM my dad and brother had already gone to bed so being the hostess, I wasn’t going to bid them goodnight until they were ready to go to bed. They brought wrapping paper and tobacco, rolled themselves a cigarette and were off to bed shortly after.
When I initially discovered that they were riding their bicycles to California- over a 2000 mile bike ride, I thought these guys were legit bikers with the necessary skill level to go about this huge endeavor with the proper gear and training. Bill and Pat had good bikes, expensive I was told, but not at all the athletes with the cycling background I expected. And I certainly didn’t expect for this bike ride to be their approach to moving across the country. But I know what it feels like when you start having the itch beneath your feet so I, in spirit, knew where they were coming from.
We all aimed to get up around 9:00AM…I was the first one up at 11:00 haha J It was Palm Sunday so as I brewed the coffee, I turned on KLOVE and started up breakfast. I didn’t want to wake anyone up intentionally; I wanted everyone to get up at their leisure so that they would wake up well rested. Thankfully as soon as the bacon was frying the boys (I’ll refer to my dad, brother, Pal and Bill as that seeing as I’m the only girl in the house) one by one came and sat down for breakfast. I knew Bill and Pat had a long day ahead of them so I was sure to make a hearty breakfast.
I told them we don’t believe in leftovers so after a few servings of eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, hash browns and fruit, they began packing up while my brother (who is an outdoorsman to the core) offered some insight and guidance, then gave them some camping supplies he thought they could benefit from because of their lack of cargo. They wanted to head into Lexington to find somewhere that had WI-Fi before they headed on the road, so I offered to drop them off on UK campus.
As Bill and Paul were saying their thank you’s and goodbyes to my brother and Dad, it started pouring down rain. It started out kind of hazy but the forecast only put rain at 20% for the day. Paul had already put the bikes in the back of my truck, and none of their stuff is waterproof so he hurried out to take off their sleeping bags and I went behind him with an umbrella. I could tell that Paul was getting frustrated and upset. The knot that he tied them in wouldn’t budge and it was pouring down rain in the cold! I felt terrible so I handed him the umbrella, climbed in the truck and untied the knot. We finally got the situation under control and Bill ran from the front porch and jumped in the truck. I started the truck and began to apologize for the rain and the false weather report I gave them over breakfast.
I put it in first gear and before I gave it gas, my brother came over to Bill’s door, opened it and gave them 2 North Face waterproof jackets that he bought a few months ago. Bill and Paul were all smiles…so was I. It was a simple exchange of clothing from someone who had them, to someone who needed them. But it was felt on a deeper level for me personally, and the amount of gratitude from Bill and Paul when we pulled off made me think it touched them in a profound way too.
I was trying to play a knowledgeable spokesperson while driving through Lexington, but was terrible at it because I could hardly remember street names. I actually had to stop and ask somebody where the library is on campus. Thankfully as we pulled up on campus, it stopped raining and the sun finally came out. It made me feel better about dropping them off, knowing that the weather conditions better accommodated 2 guys riding their bicycles.
After a few U-turns and wrong turns, we arrived at the library. I climbed in the back of the truck and helped unload their bikes and get everything strapped in and ready to go. Before I said goodbye, I handed them the book The Shack written by William P. Young. I read the book a few years ago, and it changed my life…so I wanted to give them the chance to read it as well. They said they have been reading Huckleberry and Fin under bridges and next to fires, so I figured this would be great reading material for them, especially when time is on their hands and they can think about what’s written on the pages as they are riding.
We said our goodbyes and I gave them my last and final piece of encouragement. Something was said along the lines of embracing this epic, once in a lifetime experience…something like that. Paul then gave me a bracelet their friend made back home and wanted me to have it...and it was brilliant. Not only do they have the book to remember me and my family by, now I can remember them with this beautiful hand woven pink bracelet. We hugged and I saw to it that they were able to get in before I drove away.
It was one of the coolest experiences I’ve had in quite a while. My ultimate place of happiness is when I’m serving and helping others. And I felt like I was an advocate to their vision on this voyage. And I’m convinced that this will be more than just a trip across the country for them, but a monumental era in their lives full of self-discovery, ruin, renewal, challenges, setbacks and triumphs. That is one of the reasons why I gave them the book The Shack, so that along with these growing experiences, it can be a spiritual awakening as well. This kind of trip is prime soil for the seed of faith to grow.
I went back home and sat down with the 2 greatest men in my life who I love and admire with all of my heart. I was so appreciative off all that they did and how they supported me and were just as willing as I was to open our home to people who needed a place to stay even though they were strangers at first. I even brought up the idea of turning our 3 bedroom, 2 bath home into a bed and breakfast!!! I would be the brains of the operation. My Dad laughed and shook his and guess what my brother said…?  “That’s stupid!!”
One day…maybe …

James 2:15-16 If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, and one of you says to them,” Go in peace, be warmed and be filled,” and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that ?”

No comments:

Post a Comment