![]() |
| Passing a village on a train |
I took a breath and decided to leave, just for the sake of leaving. I wanted to travel, if only for the sake of traveling. My destination: India.
Not only did I want to impulsively just leave, I wanted to follow my heart and pursue my dreams. I wanted to be a part of people’s lives, not read about them in books or look at them in magazines. I wanted to be there alongside them. To help them, to learn from them, and to grow and develop outside of my comfortable and familiar lines that I’ve been settled in my whole life.
I struggled for nearly 5 months to get enough money collected, my passport and visa acquired, and to rest easy my family’s fears and doubts about this outlandish idea of traveling across the world by myself.
I did some selective planning (on my Mother’s behalf) and with the help of a discounted plane ticket (thank you sister), I was headed for the 2nd largest populated country in the world. On my own, determined and spirited, with an indefinite vision of what I was getting myself into.
Not only did I go alone, but I also did not know any of the language, did not know where to go and had no one to anticipate my arrival.
![]() |
| A group of kids that rallied around me to take a pic :) |
I arrived in New Delhi, spent several days finding arrangements for means to get to the project, and finally boarded the Marudhar Express bound for a small village in the heart of India called Jharkhand.
To what many may seem unpleasant and repugnant, seemed quite picturesque to me.
The cows roaming aimlessly throughout the streets, makeshift barbershops on the sides of the road, Women wearing saris with colors of the rainbow, children bathing in wells, and I will never forget the stares that I got from all over.
The village of Roldih went beyond my wildest dreams. The people were so gracious and cordial to their new arrival. The children were eager to learn about where I was from, why my skin was lighter than theirs, and they loved the feel of my arms and hands.
I remember the feel of their soft cheeks, the coarseness of their thick black hair, the rough crevices of their labored hands. I thought to myself, “How wonderful”.
My time at Dakshinayan set in motion one of my many ambitions, to become a teacher.
I taught Basic English and Mathematics to a classroom of about 25 with ages ranging from 10-16. The moment I stepped foot into the classroom, I fell in love. I fell in love with each of their spirits, so eager to learn and so delightful to watch. Their fervent and steadfast desires to come to class everyday, was rather sacrificial. Some walked kilometers to get to school, most with no shoes. By May the temperatures reached beyond the 100-degree mark.
My living conditions were simple and primitive. No running water or electricity and the days crept slowly by, contrary to days back home. I was happy and content.
2 months seemed so diminutive compared to how long I wanted to stay.
I left the project on the brink of the monsoon season, sad and heartbroken. I left wanting more and feeling as though my time at Dakshinayan was unfinished and fragmentary.
I wanted to set aside some time to explore and discover more of India. I traveled to Calcutta, Varanasi, Bodhgaya, and Agra to see the Taj Mahal. Then back up to New Delhi to part from my newfound Motherland.
My voyage was the most spontaneous prodigy I have ever embarked on and cannot possibly be confined in any kind of written form of words or even seen by the 823 pictures that I took.
But the infinite memories and my parables are tucked away within my soul so that I will never forget. The villages and people have been gently wrapped around my heart so that they will forever be kept close to me. India’s culture and virtuous souls have been etched eternally into the roots that make my quintessence.



No comments:
Post a Comment